Thursday, 13 November 2014

Mentoring children in investment

Though I have a reasonably successful professional career and investment journey, I do not regard myself as a successful parent.  I am often at a lose of what to do being a parent.

Now I fully appreciate the freedom of choice I have in making many life decisions for myself with a pair of not-so-well-educated and hence less-interfering parents (few are fortunate to receive good education in my parents' growing-up era).

I have meant well to introduce my children to investment early but I hope I am not inferring too much to take away the opportunities for them to make decisions for themselves as part of the growing-up process.

I have tempted to interfere at times but tried hard to resist.  Investment needs hard work and disciplinary, which could only be sustained through strong motivation and passion.  I hope my children could develop the passion and then put in the hard work.  I can only hope because the more I am trying to monitor and guide them, the more I am taking away the opportunities for them to make decisions.  I hope they seize the opportunities I am giving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment